Monday, April 8, 2013

World's Dirtiest...?

About two years ago I started collecting vintage and antique gelatin molds. Yeah, this is like, the dorkiest weirdest hobby ever. And what's funny is that until that point, I always hated "old fashioned" jello, because it meant jello full of random slimy fruit that tasted bitter in comparison to the jello it was in, and often clashed flavor-wise to boot.  (I'm thinking of YOU, Mandarin-orange-Blackberry Delight Ring! ::shudder::)

But anyway.  I have a Collection.  And I want to document it in its entirety someday, but for now let me tell you a hilarious story.

I tend to pick up molds when I see something that is either unique, undervalued, or intriguing. I found one online that was all three.

It's a 1 pint mold of thin pressed copper, with a separate soldered-on top boss, and a tin lined interior. The tinning is intact. It was still amazingly cheap, particularly considering both condition and that it's *copper*.  Add to that the interestingly unique shell-like top design, and an outside stamping pattern I hadn't seen before, and I put in a bid without even thinking.

Fancy side stampings and flutings take up the extra diameter in a circular sheet of metal as it's put through the presses. And the Victorians never passed up a chance to make something more decorative. Later, the flutings were no longer required as the sides of the mold were made of two semi-circular pieces of crimped sheet metal soldered together and then soldered to an embossed top.

Many of the crimping designs resemble Gothic church windows, flying buttresses, steeples, and other such highfalutin' architectural concerns.  You can get something of an idea of the manufacturer by matching the side stampings - though I imagine that there was a certain amount of copying from manufacturer to manufacturer, especially as fashions in architecture changed over time.



The shell-top mold arrived from an estate sale in Canada, reeking of smoke. I cleaned it and didn't think much more of it until the other day when I was looking at it out of the corner of my eye while reading an article that touches on the naugty-themed foods sometimes served to private diners.  And then I noticed a... certain resemblance to a particular anatomical part.

I put it aside as my imagination, but then after looking through my research collection, I discovered only one more example of this... ah, motif.  And the top boss, which I shall cease to call "shell" and maybe now call "fountains", is the same.
This one even appears to have the accessory parts rendered so subtly at the base!

So the question then remains: Is this the dirtiest jelly mold in history, or is my mind the dirtiest of all the history dorks?

1 comment:

  1. It's not just you. Before I even read down the post my first thought at the initial picture was PENISI! *grin* (Yes, I spelled it that way on purpose.)

    ReplyDelete