Wednesday, May 6, 2015

One Month In

Today is the 6th, and that marks one month that we've been in London.

I'm sick with a sinus thing (or possibly an allergy to sycamore fuzz?) and yet I've been insanely productive. Healthcare paid for, phone topped up, postcards written and sent, dad's packet sent to California, and a good long walk along the Thames in the rain (which I really shouldn't have done) followed with an appointment at a bank about finally getting a UK current account. Oh yes, and my financial wrangling is done for now, so I can breathe a bit easier. (Except for the sinus thing.)
As a native Californian with a worn and drought-idled umbrella, one of the first things I bought was this awesome new umbrella.
We went to Bletchley Park on Monday, since it was a bank holiday. It's much more complex than the movie made it seem, and smaller too. But it was lovely to see all the snippets of lives lived all around the superstar Alan Turing. There were other people who contributed, and we as denizens of the Silicon Valley tend to let that get lost in the shadow of one of the Founders of Computer Science.
Didn't make sitting at Turing's desk any less awesome though.

Also, it's amazing how much the Bombe sounds like the reproduction of the Babbage Analytical Engine.
A rebuilt Bombe.
I'm sort-of killing time before I go take my next installment of anti-gunk medications. Apparently although you can get pseudoephedrine over the counter at any pharmacy, you can't get anything with a delayed-release formula, so you get about a four hour dose, and you're only supposed to take four doses a day, so that's about two hours of creeping ick returning.  Since the sun is pretty fully up at 6am here, I'm just going with a 6am, noon, 6pm, midnight schedule. Also, damn, I'd forgotten how much I hate liquid medicines. Blech.

I really need to get sewing. I really need to get writing. I have a million projects I'd like to really tackle now. And yet I'm sitting here with my head all full of gunk and all I really want is a hot toddy and to curl up with another book.  I have to remind myself that time is not *so* precious that I can't take a few days to recover.  But maybe I'll sit down and write that thing that's been kicking around in my head for awhile.


No comments:

Post a Comment