Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Makes the World Go Round

It is raining, rather hard right now, in my part of London.

I really wanted to start this post out with a song from Cabaret, but alas the lovely Alan Cumming version that I've had going through my head the last 48 hours or so is not to be found in good quality on YouTube.

When I get really stressed out about things I can't help, I break out in a rash on my hands and feet. Yesterday morning that rash started peeling, so there's that.

I'm doing complicated things with money these days. It's hard on me to realize that even though my income this year will be, on paper, something like three times my normal annual working salary, I've earned a little less than a tenth of it (and I automatically owe half of that tenth back in taxes because I earned it as a 1099 contractor). It's maybe a bit more if you count the two months of unemployment I was eligible for before London. Directly before leaving, I paid half my savings to do one thing, and then another fifth of the remaining savings in taxes. And hopefully by Thursday (tomorrow) I will have made it all back, plus enough to make me feel better about all of it.

London is an Expensive City(tm). And living cheek by jowl to Belgravia, I realize that even working, even at my top income, in the grand scheme of things I am distinctly middle class. Maybe even lower-middle. And the financial institutions have made that quite clear.

I'm trying to take a class at a lovely historical research group. Because they are small, they have a very limited array of ways to accept payment. Their card processor has irreconcilable differences with each and every credit and debit card I've tried. And my small credit union doesn't do international wire transfers, and the external vendor they've "partnered" with only does person-to-person transfers, so even attempting to wire the funds direct from my bank was canceled. Also, I cannot get a bank account here because I'm not a permanent resident, nor can I prove that I reside here - since this is a corporate rental flat, none of the utility bills are in my name, and because none of my financial institutions can transfer my account to the UK, I can't even get them to send me anything at this address. Amex very kindly offered to convert my card to a UK card, which sounded great until the part where they expected me to pay it off each month from my UK bank account, which I can't get. That's okay they said, because you can pay by wire transfer. WRONG. Can't do international wire transfers to a business.

There are a few large commercial banks that allow you to open an account as a non-resident. But because I'm on a tourist visa and thus unemployed, I can't prove my income. And because the complicated thing I'm doing with money hasn't completed yet, I haven't got the large-quantity-of-cash they'd want me to sink into their bank otherwise. The last ditch effort might be to open a joint account through one of these (reputedly predatory) financial institutions with Mike, but the question remains if they'll let me actually use the account since we're not legally recognized as partners.

The end result here is that every time I buy something I have to deal with the surprise of the till-worker, and I have to carry a pen because nobody is used to swipe-and-sign cards here. It also means that unless I can visit enough ATMs in a long enough period to *not* trigger fraud alerts, I cannot seem to find any way to transfer money to take the class that I want.  And also, because I can't prove residency, I can't even get a library card at the local (apparently quite nice) library.

The other result is that I feel like a non-person. I feel like an accessory to a masculine lifestyle, like a housewife - the thing I was terrified of - and I feel helpless and trapped by my inability to manage my own money through no fault of my own.

Relying on Mike isn't the worst thing in the world, but it feels like giving up so much of my independence, even though I know it's not. It feels like making someone hold the straw for you while you drink. It feels like failure.

2 comments:

  1. How frustrating for someone who is used to getting things done and finding answers. PayPal can draw from a bank account, but not sure it is useful internationally as payment. U.S. London embassy site suggests money transfers through Western Union. Not sure how the fees for that compares to ATMs and whether you could send money to yourself that way. How boggling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, apparently the small group was advised never to take electronic payment via PayPal or other services because of fraud and moneylaundering. And basically all of my issues stem from some strong (and apparently not very effective) regulations passed to prevent moneylaundering, so there's that.

      Delete